I’ve run the American Pets Alive! Conference from 2016-2018. For the two conferences, I achieved the following :
- Nearly doubled revenue from the previous year ($85k to $153k for the year 2018, $40k to $85k for 2016) due to increased new sponsors, increased attendance (from 325 to over 600 in 2018, from 159 to 325 in 2016).
- Lowered the conference cost by approximate 20% in 2016 (from $50k – $40k).
- Managed all aspects of the annual conference, including collaboration with subcontractors, venue identification, menu development, printing and design of materials and budget tracking. Held profit and loss budget responsibility.
- Collaborate with several departments within the company as well as partner organizations to execute the conference and drive attendance.
- Identify potential opportunities and created campaigns to capitalize on those opportunities through tabling at other conferences, Google Analytics, social media marketing (Facebook and Twitter), and developing relationships with the press.
- Secured sponsors and exhibitors through cold-calling, lead follow-up and grant-writing.
- Recruited and managed volunteers, both throughout the year and 60+ during the conference.
Event management requires a number of considerations similar to project management.